Avro 618 ten
The Avro 618 Ten was the result of the company securing licence production
rights, in 1928, for the highly successful Fokker F.VIIB/3m tri-motor
airliner - rights which were also sold to Italy and Japan. Avro's
agreement with Fokker gave the UK company freedom to sell its
licence-built aircraft throughout the British Commonwealth with the
exception of Canada, and the designation 618 Ten was adopted, signifying
the aircraft's capacity for two crew and eight passengers.
British airworthiness requirements led to minor changes of the centre
engine's thrustline, and the first Avro-built aircraft appeared at the
1929 Olympia Aero Show, subsequently being the first of five sold to
Australian National Airways. They entered service on 1st January 1930,
between Brisbane and Sydney, six months later adding the Melbourne-Sydney
route. Two other Tens were bought by the Brisbane-based Queensland Air
Navigation Co. and considerable reshuffling among the Australian airlines
led to several changes of ownership for those aircraft remaining in
service (two had been lost). The last surviving Ten in Australia evacuated
many people from New Guinea in 1941. This was one of the former Australian
National Airlines' Tens, which had been rebuilt in 1933 for long-range
flights, and fitted with 330 hp (246 kW) Wright Whirlwind radial engines.
Five Tens were delivered to British customers, two each to Imperial
Airways (April and June 1931), and Airwork (December 1931), and one to
Midland & Scottish Air Ferries (May 1933). The Imperial aircraft were
chartered to the Iraq Petroleum Transport Co. for considerable periods
before returning to the UK in 1933, while the two Airwork aircraft were
sold to the Egyptian army air force. One of the latter was passed
subsequently to Indian National Airways, which had originally ordered
four, but because of financial problems had accepted only one, for use by
The last production Ten was delivered to the RAE's Wireless and Equipment
Flight in July 1936, and was later fitted with a Monospar wing.
Power Plant: Three 240 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IVB or
Span: 71 ft 3 in
Length: 47 ft 6 in
Height: 12 ft 9 in
Weight (All-Up): 10,600 lb
Max Speed: 115 m.p.h.
Cruise: 100 m.p.h.
Range: 400 miles
(It was so called the Avro Ten due to the amount of people
it could carry.)