Ingeniere Rodolfo Verduxio, the Caproni Ca 133 was an
aerodynamically and structurally improved Ca 1O1 which first
appeared in 1927. Of welded steel-tube construction with metal
and fabric covering, the Ca 133 featured faired engine
nacelles with NACA cowlings, main wheel spats, flaps and
modified tail surfaces. The civil version accommodating up to
16 passengers, was used by Ala Littoria, and the military
version saw wide service with the Regia Aeronautica,
particularly in Italian East Africa. Incorporating two small
bomb bays in its structure and armed with four 7.7 mm (0.303
in) Breda-SAFAT machine-guns it was operated as a bomber under
the designation Ca 133. Bomber aircraft deployed as military
transports, with an interior fitted out to accommodate 18
fully equipped troops, were redesignated Ca i33T and,
similarly, conversions for use in an ambulance role were
designated Ca 133S.
In 1938 a small number of an improved
version of the Ca 133 was introduced under the designation Ca
148, serving initially in East Africa, and some survived to
fly with the post-war Italian air force. The Ca 148 differed
from the earlier aircraft by having the cockpit moved forward
by approximately 3 ft (0.91 m), the main cabin door relocated
from its original position below the port wing to a point
behind the trailing edge, and strengthened landing gear. Exact
figures are not known, but its thought around 419 Ca 133s were
built with an other 106 Ca 148s being produced as well.
Type: Two Seat
Civil Transport & Military Transport/Bomber
Accommodation/Crew: (Ca 133 civil) Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & 16
passengers. (Ca 133T) Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & 18 fully equipped
troops. (Ca 133 bomber) Pilot, Co-pilot/Navigator & two gunners
Design: Ingeniere Rodolfo Verduzio
Manufacturer: Societa Italiana Caproni in Milan (Taliedo) under
the direction of Gianni Caproni
Powerplant: Three 460 hp (343 kW) Piaggio Stella P.VII C.16
7-cylinder radial engines.
Performance: Maximum speed 174 mph (280 km/h); cruising speed 143
mph (230 km/h); service ceiling 18,045 ft (5500 m).
Range: 839 miles (1350 km) with normal loadout.
Weight: Empty 8,818 lbs (4000 kg) with a maximum take-off weight
of 14,473 lbs (6565 kg).
Dimensions: Span 69 ft 8 1/2 in (21.25 m); length 50 ft 4 1/4 in
(15.35 m); height 13 ft 1 1/2 in (4.00 m); wing area 699.68 sq ft (65.00
Armament: Four 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Breda-SAFAT machine-guns (side
door, dorsal turret and ventral positions) plus up to 1,102 lbs (500 kg)
of bombs in two small bomb bays and/or external racks.
Variants: Ca 133, Ca 133S (ambulance), Ca 133T (transport), Ca 148.
History: First flight (Ca 133) December 1934.